Decluttering your bedroom is an excellent way to restore peace and tranquility to this important room. Your bedroom is one of the most important rooms to keep free of clutter. If you sleep for the recommended eight hours a night, you will spend about one-third of your life in your bedroom. Keeping your bedroom, a perfect peaceful haven may even help you sleep better.
Knowing how to organize a cluttered bedroom is easier said than done. This is especially true if you have to declutter a child’s room.
What do you need to do to get rid of unnecessary clutter in your bedroom?
There is scientific proof that living in clutter increases stress levels and may prevent healthy sleep. The Mayo Clinic reported that clutter and disorganization in a home can increase the stress hormone cortisol. Increased stress can make falling asleep more difficult and lead to many other health issues.
Doctors advise that the simple answer to preventing clutter-related stress is to spend ten to fifteen minutes at the end of the day tidying things up.
Other studies reveal that living in clutter can increase the risk of snacking and even lead to weight gain.
So, there are certainly plenty of reasons to look for easy ways to declutter your home, starting with your bedroom.
Let’s look at some practical ways to reduce clutter and mess from specific areas of your bedroom. You can think of this as a checklist to declutter your bedroom.
Benefits of Decluttering your Bedroom Closet
The closet is usually that part of your bedroom that hoards the most clutter. It can be all too easy to pile clothes, shoes, and other items in there to keep them out of sight.
Two simple benefits of decluttering your bedroom closet include finding clothes easier and not having to re-press crinkled clothes
Signs that you may need to purge your closet include not being able to find clothes, clothes not staying neatly pressed or folded, and having a closet full of unwanted garments.
How to Declutter your Closet
If you are determined to live a calmer life by decluttering your closet, here are some helpful tips:
- Only keep clothes that you love, can still wear and fit into.
- Get rid of clothes that are stained, smelly, or have unpleasant odors.
- Think carefully about keeping clothes that are uncomfortable or that don’t project the right image.
The next item on your checklist to declutter your bedroom is to get rid of the unwanted items. So, pack all your clothes into a donation bin and give them to a thrift store or charity shop. If you have some valuable pieces of clothing or shoes that you want to get rid of, you could consider selling them online.
How to organize your closet
When organizing your closet, you should also think about some excellent space-saving storage solutions. This is very important especially if you are decluttering a small closet.
Look for organizers that help to maximize your floor space. Adjustable shelves with storage boxes can help to keep things neat and tidy. Also, get hangers that allow you to comfortably hang a few items of clothing on one hanger.
Of course, once you have closet, you should avoid allowing clutter to build up again. Take a few seconds to hang clothes up or fold them when you change. Put dirty clothes into the dirty laundry hamper immediately.
Add fifteen or twenty minutes to your weekly routine to do a quick inventory of your clothes.
How to Declutter your Dresser Drawers
It is very easy for your dresser drawers to become cluttered. Some people have an ‘out of sight and out of mind’ policy for storing item in drawers. However, this just leads to junk and clutter.
The easiest way to declutter your dresser drawers is to empty out their contents. This gives you a chance to evaluate everything stored there. This also allows you time to decide on how to organize your drawers.
Similar to decluttering your closet, be prepared to get rid of items that are broken, old, or that you haven’t used for at least a year.
Keep your dresser for smaller items of clothing such as undergarments, socks, nightwear, and accessories. As a rule of thumb, things you wear every day should be organized in the top drawers. Try to categorize items as much as possible. This will not only make it easier to find things, but it will also help with your weekly or monthly declutter.
Declutter Dresser Top
As your dresser top is a flat surface, it tends to be a place where things just seem to be put, out of sight, but not where they should go. Before decluttering your dresser top, take a look at what has accumulated there.
Some of the things that appear on your dresser top are-
- Papers, such as your mail, school homework, books.
- Loose change.
- Clothes waiting to be put away
- Jewelry that you have just taken off
- Personal items such as make-up, medication bottles
- A lot of ornaments (dust collectors)
So now to declutter your dresser top.
- Put items away where they belong.
- Maybe have a small jewelry box on top to store those pieces of jewelry you wear every day.
- Have a nice box container for loose change.
- Keep only ornaments that you really treasure
Having this area clear allows it to be dusted easily and also keeps things clean and clutter free.
How to Declutter Your Accessories
Categorizing items is also the key to decluttering your accessories. Items like hats, scarves, jewelry, belts, and shoes need their own place in your organized bedroom.
Here are a few ideas to declutter your accessories and keep them organized.
- Jewelry. First, check for broken jewelry items and either get them replaced or discard them. Also, make sure all earrings are in pairs. Keep sentimental jewelry or expensive items you only wear occasionally separate from your everyday necklaces, rings, and bracelets. Think about some dividers to keep jewelry organized and easy to find.
- Scarves and belts. Have appropriate hangers for belts and scarves.
- Winter wear. If you have clothes you only wear in winter, declutter your room by keeping those away in a separate storage box until you need them.
- Shoes. Declutter your shoes similar to your clothing. Check to make sure that shoes you keep are practical, comfortable, and wearable. Have a separate storage place for fancy shoes you only wear for special events.
Clearing clutter from your bedroom and getting rid of items that you don’t use or need any more. Gives you a clear, clutter free area which will allow you to fully relax in, and enjoy at night, giving you a peaceful place to unwind at the end of the day and get a good nights sleep.